Elizabeth L. Van Moppes, Of Counsel
Elizabeth Van Moppes has focused on workplace law since 1996. A substantial portion of her practice is devoted to providing services as an independent workplace investigator. Ms. Van Moppes is one of a few hundred Association of Workplace Investigations Certificate Holders worldwide, an American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited certificate. She is also the leader of the Seattle circle for the Association of Workplace Investigators.
Ms. Van Moppes is a frequent speaker, trainer, and moderator for various chapters of the Society of Human Resource Management, Council on Education in Management, and a variety of national and local common interest groups, as well as for clients and employers. She speaks and trains on topics related to workplace management including critical skills related to performance management, professionalism and diversity training, the danger zones of performance management, and leadership and management skills. In these sessions, Beth prides herself on providing managers with practical tools to guide them in the day-to-day operations of their workplace. She also works hard to keep attendees awake throughout the entire presentation.
On March 15th, 2018, Ms. Van Moppes will be conducting a one hour Anti-Harassment Training Class. Click here to learn more.
Ms. Van Moppes also guides clients with every day workplace issues, emphasizing the preventative measures employer-clients of all sizes can take to ensure the productivity and culture of their businesses. Always, Beth’s emphasis is on providing clients with the best possible guidance under their circumstances. In every scenario, she highlights the practical implications and the impact on her client’s time and budget as well as the morale of their workplace. Beth earns her clients’ trust and confidence by maintaining personal contact to better understand their business needs, acting as a resource for issues that arise in managing employees.
Ms. Van Moppes has handled both federal and state litigation in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Utah. Ms. Van Moppes is admitted to practice in the state courts of Washington, the United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Prior to becoming Of Counsel with Beresford Booth, Ms. Van Moppes was a solo practitioner for a decade, worked a total of eight years at the Seattle offices of two nationally renowned employment law firms, and spent two proud years working for the Washington State Attorney General’s Office in the Labor and Personnel Division. Ms. Van Moppes is a graduate of Seattle University School of Law, Tacoma, and earned a bachelor of arts at Scripps College, in International Relations. She is also an alumna and former member of the Board of Trustees of University Preparatory Academy in Seattle. When she is not working, Beth is usually trying to drink enough caffeine in a coffee shop to keep up with her daughter and her dog.
- Workplace Investigations
- Workplace Law Advice
- United States District Court for the Western Districts of Washington
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Seattle University School of Law, Tacoma (formerly known as the University of Puget Sound)
- Scripps College, B.A. in International Relations, Claremont, California
- University Preparatory Academy, Seattle (Board of Trustees Member 1997-2003)
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association (Member: Labor & Employment Law Section)
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- Washington Women Lawyers
Community and Business Associations
- Association of Workplace Investigators (Seattle Chapter Convener)
- AWARE (Association for Women Attorneys with Real Experience)
- The Link for Women
- MAMAS (Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association)
- Seattle Yacht Club
- Speaker, 13th Annual Ethics Workout, King County Bar Association, 2016.
- Speaker, Critical Skills for First Time Supervisors and Managers, Northwest Regional Primary Care Association, 2016.
- Speaker, The Danger Zones in Hiring and Interviewing, Western Washington Chapter of Institute of Real Estate Management, 2016.
- Speaker, The Contribution & Conflict of Management, International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses North Pacific Chapter, 2012.
- Speaker, Bringing Your Heart, Courage & Brain to Investigations, SHRM, Lake Washington Student Chapter, 2012.
- Speaker, Violence & The Workplace, Associated General Contractors of Washington Meeting, 2012.
- Co-Speaker, Conflict, Conversations & Investigations, Oh My!, National Human Resource Management Association Conference, 2011.
- Speaker, The Top Four Danger Zones Facing Employers Today, Institute for Real Estate Management Conference, 2010.
- Speaker, The Top Five Workplace Issues Facing Employers Today, Yarn Market News Smart Business Conference, 2010.
- Co-Panelist, Legal Rights for Working Mothers, MAMAS: Mother Attorneys Mentoring Associates of Seattle, 2009.
- Moderator, Internal Investigations, Finding the Facts & Avoiding the Landmines, Pacific Coast Labor & Employment Law Conference, 2009.
- Speaker, Drug Testing in the Workplace, Lorman Education Series, 2008.
- Speaker, Is Your Workplace Investigation Fair Game?, National Human Resource Management Association Conference, 2007.
- Speaker, FMLA Update, Council on Education in Management, 2007.
- Moderator and Speaker, Strategies to Solve Your Most Complex FMLA Challenges, Council on Education in Management, 2007.
- Speaker, The Bermuda Triangle: FMLA, ADA and Intermittent Leave, Society for Human Resource Management, South King County Chapter, 2006.
- Speaker, Hiring the Competition, Society for Human Resource Management Employment Law & Legislative Conference, 2006.
- Speaker, Electronic Records and Evidence, IP, Technology & Trade Secrets in Employment Law, Law Seminars International, 2005.
- Speaker, Privacy Pot Holes When Investigating Employee Conduct, Society for Human Resource Management Employment Law & Legislative Conference, 2005.
- Co-Speaker, Metrics in Human Resources, Society for Human Resource Management Employment Law & Legislative Conference, 2005.
- Speaker, Family Medical Leave Act Update, Council on Education in Management, 2004.
- Speaker, What Now! Understanding the Proposed Changes to the FLSA and the Newest Wage of Wage and Hour Class Actions, Jackson Lewis 2nd Annual Women’s Employment Law Conference, 2003.
- Moderator, Council on Education in Management Generalists, Certificate in Human Resource Management Seminar, 2003.
- Speaker, Untangling the FMLA, ADA, and Workers’ Compensation Overlap, Council on Education in Management, 2003.
- Speaker, Reducing, Restructuring, and Reorganizing Your Workforce While Minimizing the Risk of Litigation, Jackson Lewis Women’s Corporate Counsel Conference, 2002.
- Speaker, Managing Leaves of Absence, 8th Annual WSBA Employment Law Institute, 2001.
- Co-Author, Employer Defenses, Washington State Trial Lawyers Association Deskbook, 2013.
- Author, Employer Defenses, Washington State Trial Lawyers Association Deskbook, 2009.
- Co-Author, Washington Law Amended to Add Sexual Orientation to Prohibited Categories of Discrimination, Society for Human Resource Management OnLine Magazine, 2006.
- Co-Author, Wage and Hour Laws, Dorsey 2005 Employment Law Guide, A Practical Handbook for Washington Employers, 2005.
- Author, Employment and Labor Law Chapter, Doing Business in Washington, Washington State Bar Association, International Practice Section, 2001.