CHAIR – LITIGATION GROUPWilliam O. Kessler
Bill Kessler helps businesses, individuals and families reach their goals by providing timely, thorough representation. He understands and facilitates each client’s big-picture objectives, and efficiently integrates his role in achieving those objectives. Bill has litigated Superior Court cases all around Washington and cases in the United States District Courts for the Western District of Washington and Eastern District of Washington. He has also argued cases to the Washington Court of Appeals, and he has been admitted pro hac vice to several federal and state courts around the United States.
Bill conducts a range of business and real estate transactions, including entity formation, partnership/shareholder agreements, commercial lease transactions, and the purchase and sale of real estate, business assets and entity interest. Bill also serves as the court-appointed Examiner of Titles for King County registered land matters.
Bill has practiced at Beresford Booth his entire legal career. He has been a partner in the firm since 2016.
Bill is dedicated to helping local charities and serves on several nonprofit boards. He enjoys traveling, hiking and spending time with his family.
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- Various admissions pro hac vice
- University of Washington; BA
- Willamette University College of Law; JD
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Snohomish County Bar Association
Bill was selected by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Super Lawyer in 2020, 2021, and 2022 and as a Rising Star three times. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. This selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
- Represented international construction materials manufacturer as plaintiff in commercial litigation against Fortune 500 logistics corporation, where claims pertained to construction materials damaged in international shipping.
- Defended national HVAC contractor against claims in litigation by subcontractor, where claims pertained to work performed at Costco locations throughout the Puget Sound region.
- Prosecuted and defended multi-state and federal lawsuits by commercial baking equipment purchaser against equipment seller.
- Defended regional bank in protracted litigation, where bank client’s loan was secured by a deed of trust against large parcel of commercial property, and plaintiff unsuccessfully sought judgment for slander of title and attorney fees.
- Sued for partition on behalf of landowner in lawsuit with large number of co-owners of seven-figure lakefront property on Lake Sammamish.
- Collected commercial debt owing to client, a Seattle food-services vendor, against its publicly-traded customer in breach of contract litigation.
- Quieted complex title of real property, avoiding litigation and allowing residential seller client to close on time.
- Negotiated and closed purchase of commercial sign company on behalf of buyer clients.