CHAIR – BUSINESS & REAL ESTATE LAW GROUPDavid C. Tingstad
David C. Tingstad maintains an extensive practice in the areas of business and real estate matters, limited liability companies (LLCs), corporations and real estate. David regularly counsels clients in all aspects of business including operations, asset acquisitions, conversions and mergers. In addition, his practice includes assisting operating businesses with succession planning, financing, dissolution and disputes between owners. David’s clients range from family businesses to renewable energy start-ups.
David joined the firm in 1995. Through his years of practice, David continues to be an active member of several committees advising on policy issues relating to business entity legislation. Specifically, David is a member of the Washington State Bar Association’s Partnership Law Committee, which recently revised Washington’s Limited Liability Company Statute. David is also a Member of the American Bar Association’s Committee on LLCs, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities.
David also regularly speaks to and engages with other legal professionals for continuing legal education. David has presented on a range of legal topics relating to business entity law, writes regularly on current legal topics through his blog, and authored a chapter for the pending Washington Partnership Deskbook through the Washington State Bar Association.
David lives in Edmonds and remains engaged in the community. In particular, David serves as a director to the Homage Senior Services, a non-profit company that promotes independence, preserves dignity, and enhances the quality of life for older adults and people with disabilities in Snohomish County. David has also coached baseball, basketball, and football through local non-profit organizations. Besides spending time with his family, as a former college football player, David enjoys fitness challenges including endurance events, and cycling.
- State of Washington
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Boise State University, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude
- Washington State Bar Association
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Partnership Law Committee
- ABA – LLCs, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities
- American College of LLC and Partnership Lawyers – Founding Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Corporate Law – 27th Edition – 2023
- Super Lawyers 2012, 2019-2022
- “Washington Partnership and LLC Deskbook – Washington State Bar Association – Third Edition – 2020”
- National ABA Webinar on Drafting LLC Agreements for Professional Service Entities – May 2019
- Chair of WSBA Business Law Practice Primer Series – 2018
- “The New Washington LLC Act” – Lorman – 2017
- “The New Washington LLC Act” – WSBA January 2016
- “Dissolution and Winding Up” June 2015.
- “Unwinding the Myth of the Capital Account” August 2013.
- “The End is Near, So Plan for It” 2013.
- “Exit Planning and Succession Planning” September 2013.
- “Acts of Dissociation — Member Withdrawal in Company Dissolution and LLC Member Disputes” July 26, 2012 .
- Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships in Washington (2001, 2003 and 2007). [Cited as authority: Bishop of Victoria Corp. v. Corporate Bus. Park LLC, 38 Wn. App. 443 / 158 P.3d 1138 (2007)].
- 2010 Legislation and Other Recent Developments: Essentials, Overview, and Strategic Insights.
Continuing Legal Education Articles
- The impact of the death of a member on an LLC
- Exit and succession planning for LLCs in Washington state
- Winding up an LLC
- Disputes and exit strategies in LLCs in Washington state
- What to do to dissolve your LLC