Recent News

Out of State Child Support Orders

Washington State Family Law Lawyer Anne B. Bennette | 9/7/2022
A Child Support Order entered in another state is referred to as a “Foreign Support Order.”  In Washington, enforcement of such foreign orders must be done in accordance with the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (codified in RCW 26.21).  Enforcement is a remedy asking the Court to compel a party to abide by the terms… Read More

Due Process Rights to Parent Children – Perpetrators of Sexual Assault

Washington State Family Law Lawyer Susan O’Toole | 8/3/2022
Recently, the Washington State Court of Appeals released an opinion on whether a parent has a constitutional due process right to parent a child born as a result of their sexual assault. In this post, I will elaborate upon the case and the court’s holding. In the Matter of the Parentage of: R.V. – The… Read More

New Washington State Civil Protection Orders Statute

Washington State Family Law Lawyer Susan O’Toole | 7/6/2022
Major provisions of RCW 7.105, Washington’s new protection order statute, became effective July 1, 2022. The statute combines all current types of restraining orders under one statute, with the intent of increasing the accessibility, efficiency, and effectiveness of protection orders. Under the statute, domestic violence protection orders (DVPO), sexual assault protection orders (SAPO), stalking protection… Read More

Informal Family Law Trials – What Are They?

Washington State Family Law Lawyer Susan O’Toole | 6/7/2022
For the past couple of years, both King County [LFLR 23] and Thurston County [LSPR 94.03F] have had some form of IFLTs, or Informal Family Law Trials. Washington State is currently deciding whether to follow suit via Proposed GR 40, which is currently open for comment. Below is a summary of the proposed rule, and… Read More

Coercive Control added to Definition of Domestic Violence

Washington State Family Law Lawyer Anne B. Bennette | 3/22/2022
The Washington Legislature recently passed House Bill 1901, which formally adds ‘coercive control’ to the domestic violence statute.  Coercive control is defined as a pattern of behavior that is used to cause another to suffer physical, emotional, or psychological harm, and in purpose or effect unreasonably interferes with a person’s free will and liberty.  Examples… Read More