Changing Your Name In Washington State

Posted: Mar 3, 2014

By: BeresfordBooth

When a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage is entered, the Court may order a spouse’s name to be changed at his or her request. Often, a spouse will want to assume their maiden name, particularly if the marriage was for a brief period of time.

A name change is not limited to divorce proceedings. Anyone can change their name or that of their child by filing a petition for a name change in the District Court of the county where he or she resides. The Court will grant the change of name in its discretion. RCW 4.24.130

Beresford Booth PLLC (425.776.4100),

BERESFORD BOOTH PLLC has made this content available to the general public for informational purposes only. The information on this site is not intended to convey legal opinions or legal advice.